As someone who grew up in South Carolina, and who has regularly driven 45 minutes each way to reach the nearest Waffle House since moving to DC, I have eaten my fair share of grits. I’ve had them a hundred different ways, but my new favorite method of cooking them is, of course, grilling them in grit cakes. If you’re looking for a way to spice up your grit-life, you gotta try this recipe for grilled grits.
1 cup grits
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1. Prepare grits according to directions. Stone-ground grits would be ideal, but quick grits are fine. Instant grits are gross; don’t use them.
2. As grits finish cooking, stir in butter and cheese.
3. Pour into greased casserole dish. Place on cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Then cover and place in refrigerator until you’re ready to grill (leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes).
4. Invert grits onto cutting board, cut into four pieces.
5. Spray grill grate with cooking spray. Cook grit cakes until lightly brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
This recipe for grilled grits is perfect for shrimp and grits.