Tonight, I accepted a challenge to grill enchiladas. These are actually quadruple grilled – the chicken is grilled, the onions are grilled, the tortillas are warmed on the grill, and, finally, the enchiladas themselves are cooked over the grill.
Definitely a success.
Want to grill enchiladas at home? Try this awesome recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 packet taco seasoning
1 medium-sized onion
2 cans enchilada sauce
2 to 3 cups of cheese
8 soft flour tortillas
1. Cut chicken breasts half. Rub with taco seasoning (you really only need half the packet).
2. Cut onion in half vertically, through the root and stem. In each half, cut away the stem. Then cut each half horizontally toward the root, but do not cut through the root. Now make a few lengthwise cuts, without cutting through the root.
The result should be a “blooming” onion that looks like this:
3. Brush onion with olive oil on both sides.
4. Grill the chicken until it is no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the chicken.
5. Grill onion while chicken is cooking. Start with flat-side down. Turn over when you turn the chicken, and remove onions and chicken at the same time.
6. Cook tortillas quickly over grill, three at a time, for just about 15-20 seconds on each side.
7. Cut away stems from both halves of onion. Quickly chop.
8. Using a knife and fork, shred chicken. Stir chopped onions and chicken together.
9. Coat bottom of cast-iron pan with enchilada sauce.
10. Now it’s time to put your enchiladas together. For each enchilada, spoon the chicken/onion mixture into a tortilla, top with cheese, drizzle with enchilada sauce, and fold. Place in cast iron pan.
11. Once you’ve put together all the enchiladas, top with remaining enchilada sauce and then cover with cheese.
12. Place pan on grill and cook for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is fully melted and bubbly. Remove and enjoy!
@youcangrillthat on Twitter!