Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Challenge accepted - grilled lettuce

Tonight I accepted my first challenge – grilled lettuce.  I went with hearts of Romaine, and it was not only really easy, but tasted amazing.  Even our dog, who has shunned lettuce in the past, tore into the scraps.

I kept it really simple – just a little olive oil, some salt and pepper, and little cheese on top.

Ingredients (serves 2):

One heart of Romaine
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Cheese (optional)

Directions:

1.    Cut the Romaine heart in half.  Brush both sides of each half with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2.    Place the two halves, flat side down, on the grill.  Cook for a few minutes until it’s good and crispy.
3.    Flip the lettuce over.  If you want cheese, go ahead and add some over the top now (I used shredded mozzarella).  Cook a few more minutes until the bottom side is crispy, then remove.

I’m sure it would be great with any salad dressing, but we enjoyed it with just the olive oil, salt and pepper, and ate it with cheesy grilled chicken pitas.



 Trust me - this picture does not do the final product justice.

Next time, we’re going to try it in a grilled chicken Caesar salad – where the “grilled” applies to both the chicken and the salad.

Challenge one complete!  Can't wait for new ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I will be doing this tonight Michael!! This is a great blog- my boyfriend loves it!!

    ReplyDelete