Looking for a great summer grilling recipe? Look no further. This recipe for Greek grilled shrimp and orzo salad is cool, fresh, crispy, healthy and delicious. It has a rainbow of colors, and it’s packed with flavor. It combines the ingredients of a traditional Greek salad – tomatoes, red onion, green bell pepper, kalamata olives and olive oil – with orzo, a staple of Greek cuisine, and Greek-marinated shrimp.
Of course, you can enjoy this dish any season, but it’s perfect on a hot day. Great as an entrée, or drop the shrimp and make it as a side dish for your next potluck or cookout. Enjoy!
Prep time : 45 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
1 ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ cup fresh oregano, finely chopped, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
3 whole lemons, cut into halves
1 green bell pepper, chopped
½ red onion, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cucumber, cut into quarter lengthwise and then chopped
¾ cup kalamata olives
4 ounces feta cheese
4 cups orzo cooked al dente (2 cups pre-cooked)
1. Whisk together minced garlic, ¼ cup oregano, lemon juice and 1/3 cup olive oil. Pour over shrimp and marinate 30 minutes.
2. Mix together orzo and two tablespoons olive oil. Stir in green bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, olives, cheese and remaining ¼ oregano. Refrigerate until ready to add shrimp.
3. When grill is hot, grill shrimp over direct heat for about three minutes on each side.
4. Meanwhile, grill lemons, flesh side down for about three minutes.
5. Remove shrimp from grill, and let sit for about 10 minutes to cool. Stir into orzo salad.
6. Serve with grilled lemon as a garnish.
If you like this recipe, please be sure to click on the links below to share it! And don’t forget to follow @youcangrillthat on Twitter!