This blog began with a theory – everything tastes better grilled. The challenge to grill macaroni and cheese put my theory to the ultimate test. I mean, honestly, how can you improve on macaroni and cheese?
Well, turns out you can. And guess how? By grilling it. Grilled macaroni and cheese is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.
Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (serves 8-10):
1 pound elbow macaroni
6 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 cups milk
1 stick butter
½ cup flour
1. Boil macaroni a minute or two less than directed, so that it’s slightly al dente. Strain and run under cold water.
2. Heat milk over medium-high heat.
3. While milk is warming, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is bubbly, whisk in flour. Cook for one minute, whisking constantly.
4. Slowly add milk to butter-flour mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until it begins to thicken.
5. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir in 4 cups of cheese.
7. Add macaroni, stir well.
8. Pour into large cast-iron pan.
9. Top with remaining two cups of cheese.
10. Place pan onto center of grill. Cover and cook for 35 minutes.
Now, sit back and enjoy your bubbly, cheesy, gooey macaroni and cheese, with a perfect hint of grilled flavor. Simply amazing. We ate with grilled T-bones and some grilled fresh zucchini.
If you like this recipe, please be sure to click on the links below to share it! And don’t forget to follow @youcangrillthat on Twitter!