Everyone loves potato gratin – cheesy, gooey, a little crispy. Mixing in sweet potatoes adds an extra layer of flavor. And of course, it’s even better grilled. Cooking the potato and sweet potato gratin on the grill adds an extra smoky flavor and crispiness on the top and bottom you just can’t get in the oven. So give this recipe for potato and sweet potato gratin a try!
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
2 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Slice the potatoes and sweet potatoes thinly.
*Tip: Slicing sweet potatoes can be difficult, even with a sharp knife. I learned this lesson the hard way when I almost lost the tip of my finger. To make them easier to slice, microwave them for about 30-45 seconds. This softens them up just enough to cut them easily but not enough to really cook them.
2. Bring milk, cream, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme to a boil.
3. Spread vegetable oil over bottom of cast iron pan.
4. Place layer of gold potatoes across bottom of pan, then a layer of sweet potatoes.
5. Pour some of the milk mixture over potatoes, then sprinkle one cup of cheese over the top.
6. Add the rest of the potatoes in one layer, then the rest of the sweet potatoes. Pour remainder of milk mixture over potatoes, then sprinkle two cups of cheese over the top.
7. Place cast iron pan in center of grill over hot coals.
8. Cook, with grill covered, for 60 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, please be sure to click on the links below to share it! And don’t forget to follow @youcangrillthat on Twitter!