The best part of going to a hibachi grill (except, of course, for the onion volcano and the guy catching the shrimp in his front pocket) is the fried rice cooked right in front of you. After many hours of careful study, I have replicated this recipe in a way you can make at home on your own grill!
This recipe for fried rice cooked on the grill (aka, grill-fried rice) goes great with grilled sweet and sour chicken kabobs and grilled “stir-fried” zucchini.
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 ½ cups uncooked jasmine rice
1 onion, diced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1. Steam rice according to package instructions.
2. Place cast-iron pan over hot coals on grill, let sit for 3-4 minutes to get the pan nice and hot.
3. Pour half of vegetable oil into pan.
4. Add onions to pan, sauté for two minutes. Move onion to one side of pan.
5. Crack egg into pan, stir quickly, then stir onions and egg together.
6. Add rice, two tablespoons soy sauce, sesame seeds and remaining oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add additional soy sauce to taste.
If you like this recipe, please be sure to click on the links below to share it! And don’t forget to follow @youcangrillthat on Twitter!