Yum . . . super cheesy, moist-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the-outside potato cakes – cooked not once but twice on the grill! This is definitely my new favorite side dish, and they’re really easy to make.
Ingredients (serves 4):
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
3 TBSP butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion salt
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Spread out four squares of aluminum foil. Place one chopped potato in each, then sprinkle with onion salt, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and place one small pad of butter over each potato. Reserve remaining butter.
2. Fold foil over potatoes to form pouches.
3. Place pouches over indirect heat on grill, and cook for about 30 minutes.
4. Remove potatoes from foil and place in mixing bowl with remaining butter. Mash (and you really want to mash them, not whip them, so they’ll hold together. A little chunky is ok).
5. Stir in cheese.
6. Form potato and cheese mixture into patties. Let the patties sit in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to hold their shape.
7. Carefully place patties on grill, over direct heat. Grill, covered, for 8-10 minutes, flipping with a spatula once.
8. Remove and dig in!
If you like this recipe, please be sure to click on the links below to share it! And don’t forget to follow @youcangrillthat on Twitter!